Fund Scholarships | The
Application Process | Renewal
Fellowship | Carl
T. Solberg Award
Please read the following carefully BEFORE
preparing a scholarship application.
1. On the Location of Applicants: As a rule, The Roothbert Fund does not make Scholarship Grants except to applicants whose current or permanent address is located in one of the following States of the United States and applicants planning to move to one of such States prior to March 1 of the year in which the application is made: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Delaware, Maryland, District of Columbia, Virginia, West Virginia, or North Carolina. It is probably counter-productive to submit an application if you live outside this area.
- On Recommendation Letters: Each application must be accompanied by three (3) recommendation letters from non-family members. Each letter must be originally signed, dated a current date and be addressed to The Roothbert Fund. Submission of recommendation letters addressed “to whom it may concern” or that were originally intended for other purposes will not carry as much weight with the Scholarships Committee. Writers of recommendation letters must explain who they are and how they know the applicant. Letters may be in sealed envelopes and, in any case, will be treated as confidential.
- On Essays: Two (2) separate, original essays must accompany each application. The topics are set forth on page 4 of the application and have been chosen for a purpose. Copies of essays originally used for other purposes are generally recognizable and will not be accepted.
- On Completing Blanks: The applications are designed to elicit information the Scholarships Committee needs to evaluate your application. All blanks should be completed with responsive information. If an applicant is unable to complete a blank or believes the information sought is inapplicable he or she should so indicate and explain.
- On Photographs: Due to the number of applications received, The Roothbert Fund and the volunteers who review the applications have found that applicants are more easily remembered throughout the process if their applications are accompanied by photographs. The Fund knows that some applicants object to enclosing photographs for a variety of reasons and tries to accommodate such applicants. But the Fund appreciates the assistance provided by photographs. (Snapshots, passport photos, and even clear color photocopies will do).
- The Application Packet: Due to the volume of material the Fund receives, the Fund now requires that applicants send all materials in a single envelope. An application will be rejected if it does not contain a completed and signed application, together with all accompanying materials—two essays, three recommendation letters, and academic transcripts. Transcripts and letters of recommendation may be sealed within individual envelopes, but all supporting documents should accompany the application.
- On Mailing Deadlines: To be eligible, a complete application packet containing all required documents must either be (i) delivered to The Roothbert Fund office by 5 pm (New York time) on February 1, (ii) mailed and postmarked no later than February 1, or (iii) shipped by overnight express (FedEx, UPS, etc.) for delivery on February 1. If February 1 falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the deadline will be deemed 5 pm (New York time) on the following Monday. Emailed and faxed applications WILL NOT be accepted. The Fund strongly discourages use of courier or messenger services, or Certified Mail delivery which may require someone to be present in the office to sign for the package or to go to the Post Office to claim it. The Fund is unable to make daily trips to the Post Office so that applications which are held there may not be received by the Fund on time. Applicants who wish to know if their documents have been received are welcome to enclose a stamped, self-addressed postcard, which the Fund will return.
Top of page
Home | About The
Roothbert Fund | Scholarships
Roothbert Fellows | Contact